Sunday, December 31, 2006

James Brown 1933-2006


James Brown performing in 1969.

If that wasn't enough to convince you the man was a genius, check the dance moves out in the clip below. The young fella in the dark glasses and the powder blue jacket did.



When I was 15, I wrote an essay about my heroes. James Brown was one of them, as were Otis Redding and Roland Alphonso. I actually met Roland Alphonso five months before he died in November 1998 and I used to joke about meeting James Brown one day - because I never thought I'd meet Roland Al, there was always a chance I'd meet James Brown or see him perform. I never did.


Skatalites from 1992, including solos from the Roland Alphonso (about 6:00m in), Tommy McCook and Lester Sterling.


Otis Redding performs 'I Can't Turn You Loose', 'Shake' and 'Land Of 1000 Dances' with Eric Burdon of The Animals and Chris Farlowe on 'Ready Steady Go' in September 1966, around the time James Brown was recording 'It's A Man's World' and The Skatalites had turned into The Soul Brothers.

But here's one of my favourites to finish with.



Play JB LOUD if you're having a party tonight and keep diggin' the new breed thing into 2007 and beyond.

No comments: